ARE YOU KEEPING UP TO DATE?
Change is the only certainty. In tomorrow’s business world executives who fail to
keep up to date make it easy for companies to dispense with their services.
Are you a survivor—or a loser? Answer YES or NO to the following questions (tick
for yes, cross for no):
1. Have you identified what changes arc likely to affect your job during the next
2. Have you drawn up plans to acquire new knowledge and skills?
3. Do you always look for better ways of doing your job?
4. Have you introduced at least three new ideas into your operation during the past
5. Are you always looking out for opportunities to acquire new experiences?
6. Do you encourage your boss to delegate to you?
7. Are you following a systematic reading programme to keep up with new developments
in your field?
8. Do you ever seek the help of colleagues with specialist expertise and discuss
your problems with them?
9. Are you a member of a professional institution or management group?
10 . Do you regularly attend its meetings?
11. Have you ever volunteered to give a talk on a topic which would involve you
in doing some research?
12. Would you be willing to learn from a subordinate who possessed certain expertise
which you needed?
13. Have you ever applied for a place on either an in-company or external training
14. Have you ever taken a correspondence course or attended evening classes in a
15. Have you ever published an article or given a talk on a successful innovation
for which you were responsible?
16. Do you encourage your subordinates to keep up to date and do everything possible
to help them.?
ANSWER TO TEST ARE YOU KEEPING UP TO DATE?
Give 5 points for every YES answer.
SCORE 60 - 80
You are a highly professional executive who actively manages their own development.
For you change is welcome and exciting.
SCORE 40 - 55
You have a positive attitude to change but could push yourself a little harder to
keep up with new developments.
SCORE 20 - 35
You are in danger of becoming out of date. Act quickly and set yourself some really
SCORE 0 - 15
You have a great deal of catching up to do.